ANTIQVITATES | Eller Fortegnelſe Oc Afritzing | paa huiſ gamle Legender Monu=menter ſom nu findis som nu kunde findes | Vdij Bergen ſticht.| Anno 1626.
Paper; thicker than in the Danish notebooks , and . There are two different watermarks in AM 370 fol: an Orange-Nassau coat-of-arms and a coat-of-arms with a fleur-de-lis.
There is a catchword: "korſiß" in the bottom right-hand corner of fol. 13v
It is clear that, to some extent, a great deal of effort has been made into producing the manuscript. The title page on fol. 1r is beautifully done however, the text was later quite brutally corrected and up to fol. 7r every text and illustration is numbered 1-7. Furthermore the typographical layout is reminiscent to that of a published book, with the description of a monument, or two, on the verso-side of the leaf and a matching illustration on the recto-side of the following leaf. There are some exceptions, though, fol. 3v has an illustration at the top of the page and the text to the illustration of Burial Mounds at Myklebust on 7r spans from 5v-6v.
From fol. 12v, where the collaboration between Skonvig and his illustrator comes to an end, there are passages where the the texts have no illustrations fol. 13r-14v and 25r and a few pages where text and illustration have been done at the same page fol. 12v and 18r. Fol 26v is an exception, as a smaller leaf containing text and two illustrations of a now lost carved head of John the Baptist at the outer wall of the old Bergen Cathedral has been pasted to the leaf.
In all of the manuscript the text is written in long lines, but the number of lines varies according to how much information is provided for each monument. Fols. 1v, 2r 15r, 17v and the last five leaves are blank.
The title page together with the pictures of fols 3r-v, 4r, 5r, 7r, 8r, 9r, 10r, 11r and 12r-v are written and drawn by a skilled illustrator, presumably with the secretary of the cathedral chapter of Bergen, Samuel Hansson Bugge.
Jonas Skonvig wrote most of the text and he drew fols 16r, 17r, 18r, 19r, 20r, 21r, 22r, 23r, 24r-v, 25v, 26r and 27r.
Fols 24r-v and the inserted leaf at fol. 26v 153 mm x 143 mm is done by an even more practiced illustrator than the first. As the same hand made significant corrections to the title page, Moltke BiblArnSup1-2IIs. 16 concludes that this man is identical with the one who ordered the manuscript, Niels Paaske, as no one else would dare to make so radical corrections in the title page.
The drawings are mostly pencil-drawings but some of them are inked in. The illustration of Moster Old Church on fol. 3r has been coloured in with watercolour.
According to Steinnes (1972s. 24) the illustrations found in the first part of AM 370 fol., as far as folio 12r, were drawn by the Samuel Hansson Bugge, a priest of the Bergen chapter. The illistrations of the last part were done by Jonas Skonvig (see above).
The binding was originally covered in parchment from a Missale Scardense. This is now transferred to Access. 7a α, Hs 1, ff. 9 and 14.
Now it is bound in a cardboard binding with a marbled paper cover with cloth spine and corners of cloth. The pasteboard has the following note: A. M. 370, fol. — overført: 27 bl. 17/5 86.
Written in Norwayc. 1626.
The illlustrated pamphlets of notes, AM 366-371 fol. forms part of a larger corpus commonly referred to as Præsteindberetninger til Ole Worm (‘Priests’ Reports submitted to Ole Worm’). In the seventeenth century the doctor, scholar of antiquities and polymath Worm collected curiosities for his private collection of antiquities, Museum Wormianum, while simultaneously pursuing an interest in prehistoric Denmark, and in particular runic inscriptions. To this end, on 11. ágúst 1622, Worm sent a missive to every bishop in Denmark requesting that they instruct their rectors to investigate ancient monuments found in their parishes, and primarily objects featuring runic inscriptions. Worm then used these handwritten reports as the basis of his printed book, Monumenta Danica from 1643, a work which laid the foundations of runic research in Denmark.
What links AM 366-371 fol. together is that they contain some of the earliest written accounts of runic inscriptions and petroglyphs in the former Danish kingdom, which at that time encompassed Skåne, Halland and Blekinge in present-day Sweden, Norway, including Bohuslän (which at that time was part of Norway) as well as Iceland and the Faroe Islands.